Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is featured in the book "The Foods of the Greek Islands".
Make and share this Chicken Soup with Egg-Lemon Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (4 lb) free-range chicken, quartered
- 3 lbs chicken backs, necks,and/or wings
- 1 large onion, halved
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 10 -12 whole peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped fresh dill
- 2⁄3 cup medium grain rice, such as arborio
- 2 large eggs
- 4 -6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- freshly ground black pepper
- Place the chicken and cover parts in a large pot and add water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, skim off the foam and reduce the heat to low.
- Add the onion, carrots, bay leaves, salt, and peppercorns.
- Cover and simmer for 2 hours, adding a little more water as needed, until the chicken starts to fall from the bones.
- Transfer the chicken quarters to a large plate.
- Remove the meat and cut half of it into bite-sized pieces; cover and refrigerate.
- Refrigerate the remaining chicken for another use.
- Strain the stock, discarding the solids, and refrigerate it for a few hours, or until the fat congeals on top.
- Remove and discard most of the fat.
- In a large pot, heat the oil and saute the scallions over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until soft.
- Add 1/2 cup of the dill and saute for 2 minutes more.
- Add the rice, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, 1/4 cup lemon juice, and 2 tbs water.
- Whisking constantly, slowly pour about 3 cups of the hot stock mixture into the eggs.
- Slowly pour the egg mixture into the pot, whisking constantly to prevent the eggs from curdling.
- Add the chicken and the remaining 1/2 cup dill.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings with lemon juice,salt, and/or pepper.
- Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes more; do not boil.
- Serve hot.