This recipe is featured in the book "The Foods of the Greek Islands".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (4 lb) free-range chicken, quartered
- 3 lbs chicken backs, necks,and/or wings
- 1 large onion, halved
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 10 -12 whole peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped fresh dill
- 2/3 cup medium grain rice, such as arborio
- 2 large eggs
- 4 -6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1Place the chicken and cover parts in a large pot and add water to cover.
- 2Bring to a boil, skim off the foam and reduce the heat to low.
- 3Add the onion, carrots, bay leaves, salt, and peppercorns.
- 4Cover and simmer for 2 hours, adding a little more water as needed, until the chicken starts to fall from the bones.
- 5Transfer the chicken quarters to a large plate.
- 6Remove the meat and cut half of it into bite-sized pieces; cover and refrigerate.
- 7Refrigerate the remaining chicken for another use.
- 8Strain the stock, discarding the solids, and refrigerate it for a few hours, or until the fat congeals on top.
- 9Remove and discard most of the fat.
- 10In a large pot, heat the oil and saute the scallions over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until soft.
- 11Add 1/2 cup of the dill and saute for 2 minutes more.
- 12Add the rice, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- 13In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, 1/4 cup lemon juice, and 2 tbs water.
- 14Whisking constantly, slowly pour about 3 cups of the hot stock mixture into the eggs.
- 15Slowly pour the egg mixture into the pot, whisking constantly to prevent the eggs from curdling.
- 16Add the chicken and the remaining 1/2 cup dill.
- 17Taste and adjust the seasonings with lemon juice,salt, and/or pepper.
- 18Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes more; do not boil.
- 19Serve hot.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Soup with Egg-Lemon Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (421 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 818.4
- Calories from Fat 467
- Total Fat 51.9 g
- Saturated Fat 14.2 g
- Cholesterol 289.0 mg
- Sodium 2579.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 60.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: