Cook1 hr 10 mins
Serve this tender Greek dish with cooked rice or cooked orzo. Top with mizithra or your favorite grated cheese.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (2 -3 lb) whole chickens, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive, roughly chopped
- 2 large onions, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced, plus
- 2 whole garlic cloves
- 6 ounces dry white wine
- 2 cups water or 2 cups chicken broth
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 cup mizithra cheese
- 1⁄8 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a large skillet on high heat. Sprinkle chicken with cinnamon, salt, and pepper, brown on all sides, and set aside.
- Turn the heat to medium-high, add the onions, minced garlic, and cook for 3 minutes, stirring continuously. Add the wine to remove the particles from the bottom of pan and reduce until almost dry. Add water, tomato paste,chopped olives and whole garlic cloves. Add chicken, cover, and simmer for 1 hour or until chicken is cooked through. Add broth as needed.
- Top with cheese, parsley and serve over rice.