1/1 Photo of Chicken With Tomatoes and Prunes
1 hr 15 mins
This dish has complex flavors - I love the combination of prunes, wine, and chicken. The recipe represents Greece in the ZWT IV. From Bon Appetit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 lb) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 lb plum tomato, seeded and chopped (about 3)
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 to 4 inch)
- 5 1/2 ounces pitted prunes (16 to 18)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1Pat chicken dry and sprinkle with pepper and 1 teaspoon salt. Heat butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet or a wide heavy pot over moderately high heat until foam subsides, then brown chicken in 2 batches, turning with tongs, about 5 minutes per batch. Transfer chicken as browned to a plate.
- 2Return chicken, skin sides up, to skillet along with any juices accumulated on plate. Add wine and boil until reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Add water, tomatoes, cinnamon stick, remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, and a large pinch of pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to moderately low and cover skillet, then simmer 20 minutes.
- 3Stir in prunes, vinegar, and sugar and simmer, covered, until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Transfer chicken with tongs to a shallow serving dish and keep warm, covered with foil. Boil pan juices, stirring occasionally, until thickened and reduced to about 1 1/2 cups, 8 to 10 minutes. Discard cinnamon stick and spoon sauce over chicken.
- 4Cooks' nte: Chicken can be made 1 day ahead and cooled, uncovered, then chilled, covered. Reheat before serving.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken With Tomatoes and Prunes
Serving Size: 1 (545 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 669.7
- Calories from Fat 347
- Total Fat 38.6 g
- Saturated Fat 13.5 g
- Cholesterol 174.3 mg
- Sodium 1170.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 19.0 g
- Protein 39.9 g