1/2 Photos of Chickpea Fritters With Tzatziki Sauce
Delicious and you won't believe it's healthy! Vegans will want to skip the tzatziki (unless you sub soy-based plain yogurt), but to make it properly vegan these are also delicious with chutney and tamarind sauce-- and Mexican Red Almond Dipping Sauce (Vegan). I had so much fun making these and I hope they get picked for Veg Swap 16! :D Egg-free and if you sub soy yogurt or skip the tzatziki, it's dairy-free. I am also pretty sure that besan is gluten-free but unsure about this claim.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (19 ounce) cans chickpeas (19-oz! Two 15-oz cans won't be enough. Unless you get another 8-oz can to throw in there too.)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (the liquid-y stuff. equals 4 minced & mashed garlic cloves)
- 1 teaspoon tahini
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 dash curry powder
- 1/2 cup besan (chickpea flour( but you can sub whole wheat flour in a pinch if you don't have an Indian grocer near)
- olive oil, for frying
- 1Rinse and drain the chickpeas, then put them in a large mixing bowl.
- 2Mash them up with a potato masher! There should still be some whole ones in there.
- 3Note: you can use a food processor this, but DO NOT PUREE. Pulse a few times so some get pureed, but some whole ones remain. Then pour into a large mixing bowl. I'd rather use the potato masher for authenticity and since it ends up in the mixing bowl anyway, washing the potato masher is far easier than washing the food processor.
- 4Blend the chickpeas with the garlic and tahini.
- 5Add all the spices and meld together.
- 6Fold in the flour and mix together.
- 7Let the mixture sit for about 15-20 minutes.
- 8While the mixture is sitting, make the tzatziki sauce: start by mixing the yogurt with the lemon juice.
- 9Mix in the spices.
- 10Finely dice the cucumber (1 cuke should be enough) then add it to the tzatziki. Voila, it's done! Now get back to the fritter mixture.
- 11With your hands, form 2" balls and flatten into discs. There should be about 30 or so.
- 12Fry in the olive oil about 4-5 minutes on each side.
- 13Blot on paper towels, serve, and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chickpea Fritters With Tzatziki Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (50 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 55.8
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.1 mg
- Sodium 193.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 2.7 g