I make up this chickpea salad and keep it in the fridge for lunches all week long - store the extra cukes and red peppers covered in water and snack on them during the week too. Takes just a few minutes to prepare and keeps very well in a tightly sealed container. Also, good topped with feta and tomatoes just before serving.
- 1 (16 ounce) can chickpeas
- 1⁄2 cucumber, diced (peeled if you like)
- 1⁄2 red pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- sea salt, to taste
- lemon juice, to taste
- 2 -3 whole wheat pita bread, cut in half
- red leaf lettuce
- Combine all ingredients except pita's and lettuce. Chill at least 20 minutes before serving to let flavors mingle.
- Cut pita bread in half, line both side with a few lettuce leaves.
- Just before serving, spoon chickpea mixture into lettuce lined pita's; topping with feta and baby tomatoes if desired (I think its good without it).