1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
I love chocolate, and I ADORE baklava, and this is a sublime combination of the two. It involves a little work, so I make this for very special occasions.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups unsalted butter
- 4 cups pecans, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1 (16 ounce) package phyllo dough
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Thin Chocolate Glaze
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1In a small skillet, melt butter over low heat.
- 2Let stand a few minutes.
- 3Skim off and discard white foam from top and do not use any milky residue that sinks to bottom.
- 4The clear yellow liquid is clarified butter.
- 5Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 6In a medium bowl, combine pecans, cinnamon, 1/4 cup sugar, and chocolate chips.
- 7Mix well.
- 8Open and stack phyllo sheets on a damp towel.
- 9Cover with a damp towel to prevent drying out.
- 10Brush a 12x18-inch sheet cake pan with clarified butter.
- 11Layer half of phyllo sheets (about 10 x 12) in pan, brushing each sheet with butter.
- 12Spread half of nut mixture evenly over layered phyllo sheets.
- 13Brush next phyllo sheet on both sides with butter, then place on top of nuts.
- 14Add 5 or 6 more phyllo sheets, brushing each sheet with butter.
- 15Top with the remaining nut mixture.
- 16Butter next phyllo sheet on both sides and place on top of the nuts.
- 17Top with remaining phyllo sheets, brushing each with butter.
- 18Using a sharp knife, cut pastry into 50 diamond-shaped pieces.
- 19Do not remove pastry from pan.
- 20Brush top with remaining clarified butter.
- 21Bake 40 to 50 minutes, or until golden.
- 22About 30 minutes before baklava is finished baking, in a small saucepan, combine remaining 1/2 cup sugar and orange juice.
- 23Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring often.
- 24Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 10 minutes.
- 25Stir in vanilla.
- 26Pour hot orange syrup over hot baklava as soon as it is removed from oven.
- 27Let stand until cool, 4 hours or overnight.
- 28When baklava is cool, drizzle Thin Chocolate Glaze on top.
- 29Allow glaze to set up before serving.
- 30Baklava may be kept, covered, 4 to 5 days at room temperature.
- 31Freeze for longer storage.
- 32To make the Thin Chocolate Glaze------------------.
- 33In a small glass bowl, combine chocolate, butter, and 1 tablespoon water.
- 34Heat in the microwave on High 30 to 45 seconds, or until melted and smooth when stirred.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Baklava
Serving Size: 1 (1929 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 190.0
- Calories from Fat 144
- Total Fat 16.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 20.1 mg
- Sodium 47.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 1.8 g