1 hr 5 mins
Honey and orange juice drench flaky diamond shaped pieces of baklava. The chocolate and date filling is a welcome departure from the usual nuts. Since the pastry is very sweet, do as the Greeks do and serve in the afternoon or evening with coffee or tea.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 12 sheets phyllo pastry
- 2/3 cup butter, melted
- 1Toast pecans on baking sheet in center of 350°F oven for 5 to 10 minutes or until fragrant; let cool. In bowl, toss together pecans, dates, chocolate, sugar, cinnamon and orange rind. Set aside.
- 2Place one sheet of phyllo on work surface, keeping remainder covered with plastic wrap and damp towel. Brush lightly with butter. Fold in half crosswise; brush lightly with butter. Place in greased 13 x 9 inch cake pan. Repeat with three more sheets of phyllo for a total of eight layers.
- 3Sprinkle with ONE-THIRD of the chocolate mixture. Lightly brush two more sheets of phyllo with butter; fold each in half and place over chocolate mixture. Sprinkle with another ONE-THIRD of the mixture. Brush two more sheets of phyllo with butter; fold each in half and place on top. Sprinkle with remaining chocolate mixture. Brush remaining phyllo with butter; fold each in half and place in pan. Brush top sheet with remaining butter. Tuck in any excess.
- 4Using sharp knife and without cutting all the way through to filling, make long diagonal cuts, 1 1/2 inches apart, through top layers of phyllo, first in one direction, then opposite, to form diamond shapes. Bake in center of 350°F oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown and flaky on top.
- 5TOPPING: Meanwhile, in small saucepan, whisk honey with orange juice; bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, whisking occasionally. Spoon over hot baklava. Let cool completely on rack. (Baklava can be covered with plastic wrap and stored at room temperature for up to 1 day.).
- 6In bowl over saucepan of hot (not boiling) water, melt chocolate, stirring occasionally. Drizzle over baklava. Cut into diamond shapes. Makes 24 servings.
- 7Canadian Living’s Best Chocolate.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Nut and Date Baklava
Serving Size: 1 (53 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 193.3
- Calories from Fat 110
- Total Fat 12.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 13.5 mg
- Sodium 82.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 14.5 g
- Protein 1.8 g