A delectable dessert from BH&G. This is a Greek dessert, but using Mexican chocolate makes it fusion.
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup half-and-half (or light cream)
- 2 beaten egg yolks
- 1 cup ground walnuts (or pecans)
- 4 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 4 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed according to package directions (17 x 12 inches)
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 ounce mexican chocolate, cut up (or semisweet)
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 3⁄4 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 -3 teaspoons hot water
- cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- grated semisweet chocolate (optional)
- In a small heavy saucepan stir together honey and cornstarch. Add half and half or light cream. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 more minutes . Remove from heat. Gradually stir some of the hot mixture into the egg yolks. Return all to saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil; reduce heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Move to a small bowl. Cover surface with clear plastic wrap. Chill.
- In a bowl combine ground walnuts and granulated sugar. Set aside. Unfold phyllo. Place one sheet of phyllo on work surface; brush with some of the 3 tablespoons melted margarine or butter. Sprinkle evenly with one-third of the nut mixture. Repeat brushing, sprinkling, and layering 2 times. Cover with remaining sheet of phyllo; brush top with melted margarine or butter. Trim edges. Cut phyllo stack crosswise in fourths, and then lengthwise in thirds, to form twelve 4-inch squares.
- Gently press phyllo squares into twelve greased 2-1/2-inch muffin cups, allowing edges to extend upward.
- Bake in a 350*F. oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden. Cool completely on a wire rack. Carefully remove cups from pan. (If desired, cups may be baked ahead of time, then placed in a rigid plastic container and frozen up to 1 week. To thaw: let stand at room temperature 20-30 minutes.)
- To serve:
- In a small, heavy saucepan melt the 1 ounce chocolate and the 1 tablespoon margarine or butter over low heat, stirring until smooth, Remove from heat. Stir in the powdered sugar and the first 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Add hot water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until it reaches drizzling consistency. Lightly drizzle melted chocolate on dessert plates. Sift cocoa powder over chocolate. (Chocolate can also be drizzled over edges and insides of cups.)
- In a small, chilled mixing bowl, beat the whipping cream and remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form; fold in chilled egg yolk mixture. Spoon cream into each phyllo cup. Top each with grated chocolate, if desired.Sprinkle with cinnamon if desired. Serve immediately. Makes 12 servings.