Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
From chef Cat Cora's seven-day budget menu as published at Oprah's website.
Make and share this Cinnamon Stewed Chicken (Cat Cora) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces, legs, breast and thighs (2 1/2 to 3 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups water or 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Mix cinnamon, salt and pepper in a small bowl, then rub all over the chicken pieces.
- Using a deep, 12" wide skillet, heat the oil until it shimmers (if you have a smaller pan, make 2 batches, using half the oil for each). Add the chicken pieces, being careful not to overcrowd, and cook until very brown, 4-5 min per side.
- Mince 3 cloves of garlic. Reduce heat to medium-high and add minced garlic and onions. Saute until onions soften and begin to brown, about 5 minute Deglaze with 1/2 c water or broth, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- When the deglazing liquid has evaporated to nearly dry, add the remaining 1 1/2 c water or stock, the tomato paste, the Italian seasoning and the remaining 2 cloves of garlic, minced.
- Return the chicken to the pan, nestling it down in the sauce. If the sauce does not come 3/4 of the way up the side of the chicken pieces, add more water or broth. Cover and simmer over medium-high heat until tender, about 30-40 minutes. Season the sauce with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve with cooked orzo or rice.
Big old winner right here. Had to work on my chicken butchering skills, but it came out just great. Had this recipe at Cat Cora's restaurant, Kouzzina, this summer when taking the family on vacation and just had to try it. Only change I would make for next time is to double the cinnamon. I even threw in a whole cinnamon stick before the cover went on and I still think it could have used a bit more cinnamon.
I tried it and this was great!! I pan cooked the chicken (without oil because a guest couldn't have oil) put all the ingredients in a pot (incl. the extra 1/2 cup of water) and let it simmer for about 20 mins. Delish!! Thanks for posting!!
I made the recipe as directed. The sauce was very, very good. I will be making this again.