Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From chef Cat Cora's seven-day budget menu as published at Oprah's website.
Make and share this Cinnamon Stewed Chicken (Cat Cora) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces, legs, breast and thighs (2 1/2 to 3 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups water or 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Mix cinnamon, salt and pepper in a small bowl, then rub all over the chicken pieces.
- Using a deep, 12" wide skillet, heat the oil until it shimmers (if you have a smaller pan, make 2 batches, using half the oil for each). Add the chicken pieces, being careful not to overcrowd, and cook until very brown, 4-5 min per side.
- Mince 3 cloves of garlic. Reduce heat to medium-high and add minced garlic and onions. Saute until onions soften and begin to brown, about 5 minute Deglaze with 1/2 c water or broth, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- When the deglazing liquid has evaporated to nearly dry, add the remaining 1 1/2 c water or stock, the tomato paste, the Italian seasoning and the remaining 2 cloves of garlic, minced.
- Return the chicken to the pan, nestling it down in the sauce. If the sauce does not come 3/4 of the way up the side of the chicken pieces, add more water or broth. Cover and simmer over medium-high heat until tender, about 30-40 minutes. Season the sauce with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve with cooked orzo or rice.