1 hr 15 mins
From chef Cat Cora's seven-day budget menu as published at Oprah's website.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces, legs, breast and thighs (2 1/2 to 3 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups water or 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Mix cinnamon, salt and pepper in a small bowl, then rub all over the chicken pieces.
- 2Using a deep, 12" wide skillet, heat the oil until it shimmers (if you have a smaller pan, make 2 batches, using half the oil for each). Add the chicken pieces, being careful not to overcrowd, and cook until very brown, 4-5 min per side.
- 3Mince 3 cloves of garlic. Reduce heat to medium-high and add minced garlic and onions. Saute until onions soften and begin to brown, about 5 minute Deglaze with 1/2 c water or broth, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- 4When the deglazing liquid has evaporated to nearly dry, add the remaining 1 1/2 c water or stock, the tomato paste, the Italian seasoning and the remaining 2 cloves of garlic, minced.
- 5Return the chicken to the pan, nestling it down in the sauce. If the sauce does not come 3/4 of the way up the side of the chicken pieces, add more water or broth. Cover and simmer over medium-high heat until tender, about 30-40 minutes. Season the sauce with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve with cooked orzo or rice.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cinnamon Stewed Chicken (Cat Cora)
Serving Size: 1 (560 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 893.7
- Calories from Fat 571
- Total Fat 63.5 g
- Saturated Fat 18.3 g
- Cholesterol 254.8 mg
- Sodium 1634.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 64.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried Italian herb seasoning