Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is comfort food at its best, especially during these uneasy times. You can serve the pudding with a dollop of homemade whipped cream (and even a maraschino cherry on top.) To make it look really special or for dinner parties, serve in parfait dishes or martini glasses.
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup raw fancy long grain rice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated tangerine peel (or orange or lemon rind)
- ground cinnamon
- In a large saucepan, combine milk and sugar, and bring to a boil. Add rice, then reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 1 hour, stirring gently every 10 to 15 minutes. When it thickens, stir every 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat egg, vanilla, and tangerine rind together. After rice pudding has cooked for 1 hour, add 1/2 cup of the hot mixture to the egg mixture. Pour the egg mixture into the pot, turn off the heat and stir.
- Pour into serving dishes. Sprinkle with cinnamon and chill.
This was pretty tasty, but not as creamy as I would have liked. Even after an hour, the rice was not fully cooked, and I had to cook it for at least another 20 minutes or so. I used fresh lemon zest, which gave it a wonderful flavor. It was not too sweet, and was definitely comfort food. Made for My 3 Chefs.