1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 30 mins
** Poppy **'s Note:
A very nice and juicy leg of lamb.(Does not include marinade time.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (8 lb) leg of lamb, bone in
For the marinade
- 1 head garlic
- 2 tablespoons Greek oregano
- 2 tablespoons greek thyme
- 2 tablespoons dried rosemary
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 cups dry red wine
- salt and pepper
Dry rub for the lamb
- 6 -8 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons thyme
- 2 tablespoons rosemary
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
For rubbing the lamb
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the potatoes
- 1Trim the excess fat off the lamb and set aside.
- 2Finely chop the whole garlic head.
- 3Combine with the remaining marinade ingredients.
- 4Place the lamb in a large, deep container or baking dish and pour in the marinade.
- 5Turn the lamb in the marinade so that it is coated all over.
- 6Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 7Using a mortar and pestle, crush the ingredients for the dry rub all together until they are pastelike in consistency.
- 8Remove the lamb from the marinade and discard the marinade.
- 9Make 10-15 small incisions all over its surface using a small, sharp paring knife.
- 10Stuff each of these little holes with the dry rub and rub whatever is left over the surface of the lamb.
- 11Season well with salt and pepper and rub the lamb with about 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- 12Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- 13Place the potatoes in a large roasting pan and toss with the lemon juice, garlic, olive oil and oregano.
- 14Season well with salt and pepper.
- 15Place the lamb over the potatoes.
- 16Roast, frequently basting both the lamb and the potatoes with the pan juices for about 1 hour and 30 minutes, for a well-done leg.
- 17Add a little water to the pan during baking if necessary to keep the pan juices from drying out.
- 18Remove the lamb from the oven and let rest for about 10 minutes before carving.
- 19Keep the potatoes in the turned off oven until ready to serve.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic greek roasted leg of lamb with lemon-garlic potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (1391 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2423.7
- Calories from Fat 1429
- Total Fat 158.8 g
- Saturated Fat 45.9 g
- Cholesterol 405.2 mg
- Sodium 383.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 96.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.6 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 123.0 g