This is a not your run-of-the-mill salad. Very flavorful and refreshing and the calamari is a scrumptious addition! Posted for Zaar World Tour II '06
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 20 wooden skewers
- 10 small calamari, cleaned, tentacles removed
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for grilling
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tomatoes, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 medium red onion, sliced thin
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced thin
- 1/2 lb feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup kalamata olive, pitted
- 1 head romaine lettuce, torn into bite size pieces
- 4 lemon wedges, for garnish
- 4 oregano leaves, fresh, for garnish
- 1Soak 20 wooden skewers in water for about 20 minutes.
- 2Rinse the calamari tubes and pat dry.
- 3Split the bodies from top to bottom so you have 2 triangular pieces.
- 4Thread a soaked skewer through the length of each piece. Put the skewers on a platter and set aside.
- 5To make the vinaigrette, whisk together the oil, vinegar, garlic, dried and fresh oregano, thyme and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper.
- 6Pour 1/2 of the vinaigrette over the calamari; set the other 1/2 aside while you make the salad.
- 7In a large bowl, add the tomatoes, onion, cucumber, cheese, olives, and romaine.
- 8Pour the remaining vinaigrette over the salad and toss to combine. Let marinate while you grill the calamari.
- 9Heat the grill or a grill pan and oil it lightly.
- 10Grill the calamari for 2 minutes on each side, no longer or they will be tough.
- 11To serve, put the salad onto a large platter and top it with the calamari skewers.
- 12Garnish with fresh oregano leaves and lemon wedges.
Browse Our Top Squid Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Greek Salad Topped With Grilled Calamari Skewers
Serving Size: 1 (528 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 496.1
- Calories from Fat 376
- Total Fat 41.8 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Cholesterol 50.7 mg
- Sodium 1219.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 10.4 g
- Protein 12.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: