From Greek Cooking for the Gods, posted for ZWT IV
Make and share this Cod Baked With Currants recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 400. In a small bowl combine currants and wine, set aside.
- Oil a baking dish in which cod steaks will fit side by side.
- Place fish steaks in a baking dish. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, then rub with garlic and drizzle with lemon juice.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, warm the 1/2 cup oil.
- Add onions, parsley and tomatoes and cook till onions are soft (5-6 minutes).
- Add cloves and currants and wine, simmer over medium heat 5 minutes.
- Pour sauce over fish steaks.
- Bake until fish flakes easily with a fork (35-45 minutes), basting several times during cooking.
- Transfer fish to serving plates and spoon sauce over top.
I made this dish yesterday evening for a special birthday dinner and it was a success. I had to introduce some changes as I did not have currants neither cooking wine, so I used dried cranberries instead of currants and 1 tbs of cider vinegar, salt, pepper and the water of soaking the berries as substitute of the wine. I will repeat it following the indicated ingredients, we really loved it!!! Thanks for the recipe!
This is an outstanding combination of flavors!!!!!!! I used tilapia because my store only had freezer-burned cod. The currants balanced so well with the garlic and tomato sauce. Each bite gave you a great flavor experience. This is one of the best fish recipes that I have tried! Thanks so much for posting!!!!!!!!
Don't usually do cod, but liked the looks of this recipe & wan't disappointed ~ This baked cod is VERY TASTY! I did cut the recipe in half & that was enough for 2 of us! Enjoyed the comb of garlic, lemon & currants, & then the cloves added another whole new dimension! Thanks for sharing a great recipe! [Made & reviewed while in Greece on Zaar's World Tour 4]