Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is my favourite hummus recipe that I have developed as of late. The green olives work well to add a slightly salty note to the hummus. The way I make hummus uses less oil so I can feel less guilty about enjoying my favourite dish. Coriander is known in the States as cilantro. I came up with this recipe for my vegetarian food blog at wwww.weekendcarnivore.com .
- 1 (14 ounce) can chickpeas, drained but the liquid reserved
- 1⁄4 cup tahini
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄3 cup fresh coriander
- 1⁄3 cup green olives, pitted
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- sea salt, to taste
- Put the chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, coriander and olives into a blender or food processor. I use my mini chopper to make it extra easy.
- Blitz in short bursts, pushing the mixture down when needed until everything is combined.
- Add a little bit of the reserved bean liquid and blitz again. Add more if you need more to get to the hummus texture you desire.
- Serve in a bowl topped with olives.
This was really good, loved the olive flavor. If you weren't counting calories, adding some olive oil to it would probably be splendid. The two of us ate this for our meal.
Yummy. I agree with evelyn/athens that the topping of green olives which I sliced off there pits added a great texture and flavour. I drizzled some unrefined extra virgin olive oil on top as well as that is just how we eat ours all the time. I used Homemade Tahini!, freshly squeezed lemon juice, fresh cilantro as we call it here in Canada as well, and the green olives of course. I did not add salt or pepper because I didn't notice it as it doesn't include it in the instructions but I feel it didn't need the salt, although I'm sure some would prefer more than comes with the olives or chickpeas.
So yummy I licked the spoon! I added lemon juice to taste. I liked the olive topping as it added both texture and flavour contrast to the rich, creamy spread. Served with pita chips and Five-Spice Moroccan Coucous Salad for a delicious, healthy dinner.