Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
Not your regular leaf, potato or pasta based salad!! When I serve this, if there are leftovers, I have to send it home with a particular friend of mine. She loves this. She always asks me to make it for her pot luck parties now too!!
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 cup couscous (uncooked)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley (1/3 cup if you are using the dried stuff)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped mint leaf
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes or 1 pint grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1⁄2 English cucumber, diced (I leave the skin on for extra nutrients, but you can peel if you prefer)
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- In a medium pot, boil water with garlic, margarine and salt. When water is at a rolling boil, add couscous. Stir a couple times. Turn off heat and cover the pot. Leave for 10 minutes without opening the lid.
- After 10 minutes, give the couscous another stir and let sit, uncovered to cool.
- Meanwhile, while the couscous is busy cooling, in a large bowl, combine all the remaining ingredients except for the feta cheese, lemon juice and the oil.
- Add the couscous to the bowl. Mix thoroughly to combine everything.
- When everything is combined, you can add the lemon juice and oil and mix again. Sometimes, I find I may have to add a litlle bit more lemon juice, but that is my preference --
- Add feta cheese just prior to serving the salad and mix again.
Excellent salad. DH even said it was great and you can't get a higher compliment from him. He just didn't want to know what was in it, so I didn't tell him, but he ate it up. I did add some red wine vinegar also just to add a little more pow to the dressing and it worked well. I definitely will make this again. Great summer salad!
Excellent salad! I also increased the lemon juice, then added red wine vinegar and fresh oregano. Great recipe!
I made this for a potluck and added the feta right before serving. This was a very refreshing salad and Iâ€™ll definitely make it again! THX.