1 hr 10 mins
Cinnamon, nutmeg and cumin swirl about you like an aromatic market in the sultry mediterranean sun. Your mouth waters...mmm, what is that heavenly smell? Dinner! A sumptuous Moussaka recipe with ingredients you can find in any kitchen.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and boiled
- 3 large eggplants or 5 Japanese eggplants
- 1/2 cup oil (olive, sunflower, vegetable)
- 2 tablespoons oil (olive preferably)
- 1 large onion, minced (or pulverize in the food processor)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (I put them in the food processor with the onions)
- 2 lbs ground beef (you can do half beef, half lamb too)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1Peel and boil the potatoes.
- 2Cut eggplant up into 1/4 inch slices, salt, place into strainer and weigh down for 15 minutes. (I don't actually strain them, but most people do).
- 3Meat Layer: Saute onion and garlic in 2 tbsp of oil (I prefer olive). Add ground meat, cumin, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and salt. Brown meat while breaking up the clumps. Set aside.
- 4Drizzle just enough (olive) oil to cover the bottom of a hot pan. Place eggplant slices in pan. Brown both sides of all the eggplant slices. They're thirsty little guys so you'll have add oil to pan as you go.
- 5Cut boiled potatoes into 1/4 inch slices.
- 6Cream Sauce: In a sauce pan, on low heat, melt butter. Then add flour, stir until it has the consistency of cookie dough, don't let it brown.
- 7Add milk, a bit at a time. (If you do it all at once you'll have clumps). You want a thick cream soup consistency.
- 8Add cheese, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, cumin and salt. Stir until smooth and blended. Set aside.
- 9Spread some cream sauce in the bottom of a 13x9 pan. Layer eggplant, meat, sauce, potaotes, meat, sauce, eggplant, sauce and grated cheese.
- 10Bake 30 min at 450. I like to cover it with tin foil for the first 20 min and then take it off for the last ten so the cheese can get a bit brown.
- 11Even more delightful after freezing and reheating.
- 12NOTE: I add spices to taste. 1/4 tsp is a conservative start, go wild! Freshly grated spices give an added zing. I also add onion and garlic power when on hand. Also I use 3 parts veg oil and 1 part olive oil to get the taste but ease the cost.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Mediterranean Moussaka
Serving Size: 1 (300 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 493.8
- Calories from Fat 287
- Total Fat 31.9 g
- Saturated Fat 11.5 g
- Cholesterol 77.1 mg
- Sodium 460.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 22.4 g