1/2 Photos of Cretan Kalitsounia (Sweet Cheese Pastries)
These delectable cheese pastries are served throughout Crete. The best, in my opinion, are served in sunny villages scattered throughout the White Mountain Range on the drive from Chania to Sfakia. There, they are served with a drizzle of the local thyme honey. In more urban centers, many just sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Either way, they are addictive and delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups flour
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 lb manouri cheese (ricotta will do in a pinch) or 1 lb fresh mizithra cheese (ricotta will do in a pinch)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest, finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- olive oil (for frying) or clarified butter (for frying)
- greek thyme honey or cinnamon sugar
- 1Prepare a stiff dough with the flour, olive oil, salt and water.
- 2Leave to rest, covered, for an hour.
- 3Crumble cheese.
- 4Mix well with egg, zest, cinnamon and sugar.
- 5Separate dough in two.
- 6Take half of dough and roll out 1/8 inch thick on a lightly-floured surface.
- 7Using a water glass, cut into small rounds 3 inches in diameter.
- 8Place 1 tablespoon of the cheese mixture on each round of dough, moisten edges with a little water, fold over and seal well, pressing the edges together with a fork.
- 9Repeat with remaining dough and cheese filling.
- 10Heat enough olive oil or clarified butter to come up about 3/4 inch of pan.
- 11Fry pastries until golden brown.
- 12Drizzle with honey or sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar and serve hot.
Browse Our Top Cheesecake Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cretan Kalitsounia (Sweet Cheese Pastries)
Serving Size: 1 (817 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 123.6
- Calories from Fat 28
- Total Fat 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 10.5 mg
- Sodium 120.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 2.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: