Cook1 hr 25 mins
There are many, many variations of baklava recipes out there. Most of them call for some variation of a sugar water syrup. This recipe is a bit different because it only uses pure honey over the top of the baklava. This makes for a much crispier, flakier baklava that the baklava that is readily available. This is the recipe that my Greek Grandma has used for decades, and now I am in charge of baking it every year for Easter dinner. It's an all-day affair in my house when I bake this, but it is worth it. I have had many people tell me that this is the best baklava they have ever tasted. Be sure and use high-quality honey. The better the honey, the better the baklava. Keep the stack of phyllo sheets covered with a damp towel while you are working, to keep them from drying out and getting brittle.
- Grease 13" x 9" baking dish. In large bowl with spoon, combine chopped walnuts, sugar and cinnamon until blended; set mixture aside.
- In baking dish, place 1 sheet of phyllo, allowing it to extend up sides of dish; brush with some more butter. Repeat to make 5 more layers of phyllo; sprinkle with 1 cup walnut mixture. Cut remaining phyllo into approximately 13" by 9" rectangles.
- Place one sheet of phyllo in baking dish over walnut mixture; brush with butter. Repeat to make at least 6 layers, overlapping small strips of phyllo to make rectangles, if necessary. Sprinkle 1 cup walnut mixture evenly over phyllo.
- Repeat step 3 two more times. Place remaining phyllo on top of last walnut layer. Trim any phyllo that extends over top of dish. With sharp knife, cut just halfway through all layers in a diamond pattern to make 28 servings. Bake in 300 degree Fahrenheit oven for 1 hour 25 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in 1-quart saucepan over medium-low heat, heat honey until hot but not boiling. Spoon hot honey evenly over baklava. Cool in pan on wire rack at least 1 hour, then cover and leave at room temperature until serving time.
- To serve: With sharp knife, finish cutting through layers.