Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
From: New York’s 25: Taste Of Greece – Oct 16-Nov 18, 2006 "California legend and peripatetic chef Jonathan Waxman draws on this classic Greek meze combo to create a dish that fits in with his Manhattan bistro, Barbuto." Prep time is an approximation, Cook time is a guess.
- 4 lavender eggplants
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 pints Baby Spinach, washed and spun dry
- 1⁄2 lb fresh goat cheese curds or 1⁄2 lb mild greek feta, crumbled
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced in half on the equator
- 1 sprig rosemary, spiny leaves separated
- 1 lemon
- 1 1⁄2 cups greek extra virgin olive oil
- Cut eggplant into bite sized pieces, coat with salt and marinate for one hour.
- Make an anglaise with egg and cream.
- In a heavy skillet heat 1 cup olive oil to 325°F.
- Wash and dry eggplant.
- Toss into flour, then into the anglaise, and into the bread crumbs.
- In a large bowl place the spinach, crumbled cheese, tomatoes, rosemary leaves, juice of one lemon, and toss well.
- Add 1/2 cup olive oil.
- Fry the eggplant until crispy, toss into bowl and season with salt and pepper. Serve warm.