1/3 Photos of Crock Pot Beef Stifado
8 hrs 30 mins
Another variation of this lovely Greek stew. I used to make this on the stove-top and in the oven, I have now adapted it for my crock pot. Most time goes into cleaning the small onions and I do this the evening before. If you don't want to be bothered with that substitute a large chopped onion.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb small onion, i use pickling or 1 lb white pearl onion
- 2 lbs braising beef or 2 lbs stewing beef, cut in cubes
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes (use fresh tomatoes if you prefer)
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/8 cup red wine vinegar or 1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste or 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- salt and pepper
- crumbled feta cheese, to serve (optional)
- chopped fresh parsley, to serve (optional)
- 1Cover the onions with boiled water, stand for 5 minutes, drain, peel and set aside.
- 2Dust the beef with the flour.
- 3Heat half of the oil in a large frying pan and brown the beef, transfer to the crock pot.
- 4Heat the rest of the oil and on a high heat brown the small onions for approx ten minutes.
- 5Lower the heat to medium and add the chopped onion and the garlic, fry for another 5 minutes.
- 6Now add the rest of the ingredients, mix and warm through then transfer to the crock pot.
- 7Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours until tender.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crock Pot Beef Stifado
Serving Size: 1 (382 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1812.8
- Calories from Fat 1613
- Total Fat 179.3 g
- Saturated Fat 69.4 g
- Cholesterol 224.7 mg
- Sodium 104.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 11.4 g
- Protein 21.6 g