A lovely soup from The Complete Middle East Cookbook by Tess Mallos
Make and share this Cypriot Meatball Soup (Yourvarlakia Avgolemono) (Gluten Free) recipe from Food.com.
- Beat 1 egg and mix it with the ground meat, onion, rice, 2 tbs parsley, mint, & salt & pepper to taste.
- Shape into meatballs the size of a small walnut and coat lightly with rice flour.
- Bring stock to a boil in a soup pot & drop in prepared meatballs; add the butter.
- Cover and simmer gently for 1 hour.
- In a bowl beat remaining two eggs until light and foamy.
- Gradually beat in lemon juice.
- Slowly add about 2 cups of the simmering stock, beating constantly.
- Pour the egg mixture into the soup and stir lightly but constantly for two minutes to cook the egg.
- Remove from heat and stir for a further minute so the heat of the pot will not cause the egg to curdle.
- Ladle soup into soup plates and sprinkle with a little chopped parsley.
- Serve with crusty bread.