1/6 Photos of Cypriot Meatball Soup (Yourvarlakia Avgolemono) (Gluten Free)
1 hr 30 mins
A lovely soup from The Complete Middle East Cookbook by Tess Mallos
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Beat 1 egg and mix it with the ground meat, onion, rice, 2 tbs parsley, mint, & salt & pepper to taste.
- 2Shape into meatballs the size of a small walnut and coat lightly with rice flour.
- 3Bring stock to a boil in a soup pot & drop in prepared meatballs; add the butter.
- 4Cover and simmer gently for 1 hour.
- 5In a bowl beat remaining two eggs until light and foamy.
- 6Gradually beat in lemon juice.
- 7Slowly add about 2 cups of the simmering stock, beating constantly.
- 8Pour the egg mixture into the soup and stir lightly but constantly for two minutes to cook the egg.
- 9Remove from heat and stir for a further minute so the heat of the pot will not cause the egg to curdle.
- 10Ladle soup into soup plates and sprinkle with a little chopped parsley.
- 11Serve with crusty bread.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cypriot Meatball Soup (Yourvarlakia Avgolemono) (Gluten Free)
Serving Size: 1 (343 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 358.5
- Calories from Fat 164
- Total Fat 18.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 155.5 mg
- Sodium 390.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 23.6 g