1 hr 30 mins
Abi Fae's Note:
We are making cyser and grabbed a couple cups for the baklava and it is the most amazing syrup ever.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 cups hard alcoholic cider (or Cyser)
- 1 star anise (use 1 cinnamon stick if you don't have anise)
- 1 lemon, juice of (to taste, I usually add more)
- 2 -3 tablespoons honey
- 2Use a heavy saucepan and dissolve the sugar in the cyser over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add lemon juice.
- 3When all the sugar has dissolved, reduce heat to a gentle boil. Do not stir often.
- 4Add honey once the syrup thickens. If you use a candy thermometer (I never have) it should register 230°F A drop of syrup on a cold plate will not spread.
- 5It takes about 20-25 minutes. Set aside to cool (but not to get cold).
- 7Preheat oven to 325 f.
- 8Finely chop the nuts. You want them as close to a meal as you can. I use the blender or food processor.
- 9Combine with sugar and spices. (Not the whole cloves).
- 10Place 6 phyllo sheets in a well buttered 13x9 inch baking pan. I think glass works best. Butter the top sheet generously.
- 11Sprinkle a thin layer of the nut mixture over the phyllo. You want it even and no dough showing, but not thicker than about 1/8 inch.
- 12Cover with 4 more phyllo sheets and generously butter the top sheet.
- 13Continue alternating nut mixture and phyllo until you run out of nuts. Top with 8 phyllo sheets and generously butter the top.
- 14If your sheets are too big for the pan, you may trim them or fold them over.
- 15Score into squares or diamonds. Place a whole clove in the center of each slice. Pieces are traditionally quite small as it is a very sweet dessert.
- 16Bake for 30 minutes, then lower the oven to 300 and bake for another 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- 17Pour the warm syrup over the hot baklava. Let stand several hours, at least.
- 18Freezes well.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cyser Baklava
Serving Size: 1 (88 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 429.7
- Calories from Fat 259
- Total Fat 28.8 g
- Saturated Fat 11.1 g
- Cholesterol 40.6 mg
- Sodium 200.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 29.8 g
- Protein 4.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
hard alcoholic cider