Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a lovely lightly sweet Mediterranean dessert which can be also eaten for breakfast. We especially enjoy this during Ramadan. Though it's not traditional rice milk is used rather than regular milk and works well but feel free to use dairy if you so wish. This is my adaption of Muhallebi (Cypriot Rice Powder Pudding). I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. HELPFUL HINTS: Add sugar after the rice powder mixture has been stirred, boiled and thickened for at least 10 minutes. At the end, you may wish to place the saucepan in cold water and beat the mixture for a few minutes before pouring into small dishes.
- In a basin or a large bowl, mix rice powder into a paste with a little rice milk taken from the 4 cups.
- Heat remaining rice milk to almost boiling point and pour onto the rice paste, stirring well.
- Return the mix to the saucepan and add orange blossom flower water and bring to boil over gentle heat while ***stirring continuously***.
- Once the mixture starts bubbling, reduce the heat and continue stirring continuously for another 5-10 minutes more. The continuous stirring makes sure it doesn't lump.
- Add sugar and keep stirring until it dissolves completely.
- If the mixture becomes too thick dilute with a little milk or water.
- Pour the creamy mixture into small bowls or a one large shallow dish approximately ½ï¿½ deep.
- Decorate the pudding top with pistachios and almonds if desired.
- Enjoy warm as I prefer or may be chilled.
Lovely pudding, I liked this very much for a special lunch and will definitely make it again! Thanks for posting. Made for PAC Spring 2010.