1/2 Photos of Dash Riprock's Real Halifax Donair
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Dash Riprock's Note:
I have been a cook at various eating establishments around Halifax. I have even been a pizza/donair cook. Being a lover of Donair's I have put together my own recipe for Donair. I have been making it for a couple of years now, and many people have told me it is one of the best Donair's they have had. So I hope you will enjoy it too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb of medium ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1DONIR MEAT: take all the spices mix them together well add the spices to the meat a little at a time,working the spices through the meat well when spices are all worked into the meat,pick the meat up and throw it down into a steel mixing bowl.
- 2Do this 20-30 times, kneading it after each time.
- 3When throwing the meat you need to throw it down with force.
- 4This gives the meat the proper texture, like you find at a donair shop. Once this is done cut the meat into 1 lb loafs; pat the meat like you would a hamburger, but make it into a loaf shape. Place the loaves on a broiler pan (if you don't have one a cookie sheet will do). Bake at 350°F for 1-1/4 hrs (turn them over at half the way through).
- 5Let the meat cool down before you cut it.
- 6Once it is cut up, you can fry it or not, depending if you like your donair meat crispy or not.
- 7DONAIR SAUCE: Open the can of milk pour it into a steel or glass bowl (not plastic--it won't set up properly in plastic). Pour the sugar & garlic powder in; mix this together well.
- 8Slowly add the vinegar and mix this together slowly. (If you mix the vinegar in too fast it won't thicken up properly).
- 9Once this is done cover and refrigerate.
- 10TO PREPARE DONAIRS: Heat the meat up in a frying pan till it is lightly crispy.
- 11Wet a pita bread and place it into a lightly oiled pan; cook it until it is soft on medium heat.
- 12Once this is done, take sauce & lightly coat the pita on one side.
- 13Place about 100g of meat and then pour more donair sauce over it.
- 14Place chopped onion & tomatoes on it.
- 15bon appitite!
- 16PS. The leftover meat can be kept in the freezer for future use. The sauce however will only last a couple of days once refrigerated.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dash Riprock's Real Halifax Donair
Serving Size: 1 (221 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 318.1
- Calories from Fat 182
- Total Fat 20.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 86.8 mg
- Sodium 699.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 24.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: