1/3 Photos of Date-Berry Sweet Couscous Tart
RSC #7 June 2005. This is my first experience with couscous and I hope Evelyn is proud of my results. It's easiest to use a tart pan with a removable bottom or a spring form pan and press dough up the sides about 1 1/2 inches. I had about 1/2 cup left over which I put into muffin tins and filled. Dough can be covered and refrigerated overnight. I can't put this in the recipe, but you can serve this with ice cream, or chocolate sauce, or whipped cream, or fruity yogurt, or.. or... or.....
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 egg (beat one egg and use half here and the other half in the filling)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup pistachios (chopped fine)
- 2 cups orange juice (divided)
- 2 cups water (divided)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (10 ounce) box couscous
- 15 dates
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (packed)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 eggs (beaten lightly)
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cups strawberries, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons bittersweet chocolate (ground, chopped, or slivered)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Butter pan lightly.
- 4Cream butter and sugar together.
- 5Add vanilla and egg, beat for 2 minutes with electric beater on medium.
- 6Slowly add flour and mix well.
- 7Stir in pistachios.
- 8Press into tart pan and up sides. I had about 1/2 cup too much and just put into muffin tins.
- 10Using a medium pan, put in 1 cup orange juice, 1 cup water and 1 tablespoon butter.
- 11Bring just to boil and stir in couscous.
- 12Cover, remove from heat for 5 minutes. Put in large bowl, fluff up with a fork, and allow to cool.
- 13Remove seeds from dates.
- 14Put dates in small pan and cover with 1 cup orange juice and 1 cup water.
- 15Simmer for 20 minutes, drain, remove any loose skins, allow to cool, chop fine (or mash), put in separate bowl.
- 16Add brown sugar, cinnamon, eggs and yogurt.
- 17Mix corn starch in cream and add to bowl.
- 18Mix all together until well blended.
- 19Pour into couscous and mix well.
- 20Stir in strawberries.
- 21Pour into crust and bake for 20 - 25 minutes, until crust is golden brown.
- 22Sprinkle top with chocolate and bake another 5 minutes.
- 23Cool and refrigerate.
- 24Serve cold.
Browse Our Top Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Date-Berry Sweet Couscous Tart
Serving Size: 1 (297 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 722.1
- Calories from Fat 246
- Total Fat 27.4 g
- Saturated Fat 14.7 g
- Cholesterol 184.0 mg
- Sodium 181.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 105.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 40.4 g
- Protein 15.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: