Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
RSC #7 June 2005. This is my first experience with couscous and I hope Evelyn is proud of my results. It's easiest to use a tart pan with a removable bottom or a spring form pan and press dough up the sides about 1 1/2 inches. I had about 1/2 cup left over which I put into muffin tins and filled. Dough can be covered and refrigerated overnight. I can't put this in the recipe, but you can serve this with ice cream, or chocolate sauce, or whipped cream, or fruity yogurt, or.. or... or.....
- 1⁄2 cup butter (room temperature)
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 egg (beat one egg and use half here and the other half in the filling)
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup pistachios (chopped fine)
- 2 cups orange juice (divided)
- 2 cups water (divided)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (10 ounce) box couscous
- 15 dates
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (packed)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 eggs (beaten lightly)
- 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cups strawberries, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons bittersweet chocolate (ground, chopped, or slivered)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter pan lightly.
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Add vanilla and egg, beat for 2 minutes with electric beater on medium.
- Slowly add flour and mix well.
- Stir in pistachios.
- Press into tart pan and up sides. I had about 1/2 cup too much and just put into muffin tins.
- Using a medium pan, put in 1 cup orange juice, 1 cup water and 1 tablespoon butter.
- Bring just to boil and stir in couscous.
- Cover, remove from heat for 5 minutes. Put in large bowl, fluff up with a fork, and allow to cool.
- Remove seeds from dates.
- Put dates in small pan and cover with 1 cup orange juice and 1 cup water.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, drain, remove any loose skins, allow to cool, chop fine (or mash), put in separate bowl.
- Add brown sugar, cinnamon, eggs and yogurt.
- Mix corn starch in cream and add to bowl.
- Mix all together until well blended.
- Pour into couscous and mix well.
- Stir in strawberries.
- Pour into crust and bake for 20 - 25 minutes, until crust is golden brown.
- Sprinkle top with chocolate and bake another 5 minutes.
- Cool and refrigerate.
- Serve cold.