3 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
In 'Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey' by Jill O'Connor
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 2 cups finely chopped almonds
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 lbs phyllo dough (seventy-five 9 x 13 inch sheets)
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, melted
- 1Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2Lightly butter the bottom and sides of a 13 x 9 inch metal baking pan with melted butter.
- 3Pastry: in a small bowl, combine the walnuts, almonds, sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves; set aside.
- 4On a clean work surface, lay flat 1 sheet of phyllo and brush it lightly with melted butter.
- 5Layer 7 more sheets of phyllo over the first, buttering each one.
- 6Carefully lay this stack of butter phyllo in the prepared pan.
- 7Sprinkle evenly with 1 cup of the nut mixture.
- 8Layer together 8 more sheets of phyllo, buttering each sheet, and lay this stack over the first layer of nuts.
- 9Sprinkle the second stack of phyllo sheets with another 1 cup of the nut mixture.
- 10Repeat this process until there are 5 stacks of buttered phyllo (8 sheets in each stack) separated by and ending with a layer of nut mixture (1 cup for each of 5 layers).
- 11On a flat work surface, prepare the top of the pastry by layering together 35 sheets of phyllo dough, buttering each sheet.
- 12Carefully place this stack of layered phyllo over the last layer of nuts in the pan.
- 13The pan should be completely full of pastry.
- 14With a sharp knife, score the baklava into square or diamond-shape pieces by cutting through just the top layers of phyllo dough.
- 15Bake until crisp throughout and the top layers are golden brown, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- 16While the baklava is baking, make the honey syrup: combine all the syrup ingredients in a large stockpot and bring the syrup to a boil over med-high heat.
- 17Decrease heat to medium and simmer until the mixture is the consistency of thick maple syrup, about 10 minutes.
- 18Remove the syrup from the heat and let cool slightly.
- 19As soon as the baklava comes out of the oven, spoon the slightly warm syrup over the pastry.
- 20Let the baklava cool completely before cutting the scored pieces completely.
- 21Don't be nervous if the baklava seems to be swimming in the syrup initially.
- 22As the pastry cools, the syrup is absorbed into the layers.
- 23It is very important to allow the baklava to cool completely, giving the syrup plenty of time to ease into the pastry layers and give the baklava its wonderful gooey-crisp texture.
- 24Baklava will keep, covered, for 2 days at room temperature or 4 days refrigerated.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Deep-Dish Baklava
Serving Size: 1 (3575 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 661.9
- Calories from Fat 316
- Total Fat 35.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 36.6 mg
- Sodium 270.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 84.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 55.6 g
- Protein 9.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: