Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Make this only if you are a garlic-lover, don't worry the garlic will mellow while baking, you could reduce the garlic slightly I like to use three large heads --- the one hour baking time may need to be increased slightly as you are opening your oven door to basting the chicken every 10-15, this will allow hot air to escape --- plan ahead the chicken needs to be refrigerated for 1 hour, but no more than that as the lemon will start to "cook" the chicken --- you may also add in a sliced onion.
- 8 chicken legs with thigh, attached (about 5 pounds)
- 3 heads garlic (large head, separated into cloves, peeled then finely chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano (rubbed between fingers to release the flavor)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (can use more)
- 2 teaspoons salt (I use seasoned salt)
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water or 1⁄2 cup hot low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Set oven to 375°F.
- Grease a 17 x 12-inch baking dish.
- In a bowl mix together minced fresh garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, dried oregano, black pepper and salt; rub the garlic mixture evenly over the chicken.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour (no more than 1 hour!).
- Place the chicken on the baking sheet cut side down in a single layer.
- Bake for about 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until the skin is well browned and the chicken is cooked, basting with the pan juices every 15 minutes the last 30 minutes of baking time.
- Transfer to a warm platter; skim off the fat from the drippings.
- Add in 1/2 cup boiling water or hot chicken broth to the pan; stir to loosen the browned bits, then pour the sauce into a bowl.
- Scatter chopped parsley over the chicken, then drizzle the sauce over the chicken.
The lemon was a little strong for me but the garlic was perfect! I followed the instructions to step 7 and then took the pan drippings and reduced them to a thicker sauce to serve atop. Another great recipe!
Really great chicken dish! LOVED the smell of the garlic while this baked. I used boneless/skinless chicken breasts so I'm sure it would be even better with skin on thighs. I used about 1.5 pounds of chicken but kept all other ingredients the same since someone mentioned the sauce would be great over potatoes or rice. I made white rice to serve with this and feta asparagus. YUM!! Even the kids liked this one since the garlic taste wasn't super overpowering. Delicious! Will make again. Thanks Kitten!
Just love lemon and garlic with ALMOST anything !! Prepared this with 10 boneless/skinless thighs - so density was much reduced. Used full amount of marinade, but only let it sir for 30 minutes, the roasted for @ 40 minutes, basting twice. VERY peppery - and flavorful ! DH thought it was a tad over the top, but I really enjoyed some flavor after being on a restrictive diet for 3 weeks (4 days to go !) - and will definitely do again with leg quarters. Have enough for another meal - in the next few days. Thanks, Kitten for yet another flavor-burst, taste sensation !