1/3 Photos of Delicious Greek Garlic Chicken
2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Make this only if you are a garlic-lover, don't worry the garlic will mellow while baking, you could reduce the garlic slightly I like to use three large heads --- the one hour baking time may need to be increased slightly as you are opening your oven door to basting the chicken every 10-15, this will allow hot air to escape --- plan ahead the chicken needs to be refrigerated for 1 hour, but no more than that as the lemon will start to "cook" the chicken --- you may also add in a sliced onion.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 chicken legs with thigh, attached (about 5 pounds)
- 3 heads garlic (large head, separated into cloves, peeled then finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano (rubbed between fingers to release the flavor)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (can use more)
- 2 teaspoons salt (I use seasoned salt)
- 1/2 cup boiling water or 1/2 cup hot low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1Set oven to 375°F.
- 2Grease a 17 x 12-inch baking dish.
- 3In a bowl mix together minced fresh garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, dried oregano, black pepper and salt; rub the garlic mixture evenly over the chicken.
- 4Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour (no more than 1 hour!).
- 5Place the chicken on the baking sheet cut side down in a single layer.
- 6Bake for about 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until the skin is well browned and the chicken is cooked, basting with the pan juices every 15 minutes the last 30 minutes of baking time.
- 7Transfer to a warm platter; skim off the fat from the drippings.
- 8Add in 1/2 cup boiling water or hot chicken broth to the pan; stir to loosen the browned bits, then pour the sauce into a bowl.
- 9Scatter chopped parsley over the chicken, then drizzle the sauce over the chicken.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Delicious Greek Garlic Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (230 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 412.9
- Calories from Fat 244
- Total Fat 27.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 138.6 mg
- Sodium 718.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 31.9 g