1/1 Photo of Dolma (meat-filled)
2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
I was recently asked for a recipe for Dolma with a meat filling, and here's my recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef or 1 1/2 lbs lamb or 1 1/2 lbs pork (I use pork)
- 3/4 cup short-grain rice
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint or 3 teaspoons dried mint
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 3 teaspoons dried dill
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 100 jarred grape leaves, packed in brine, rinsed thoroughly (about)
- 1 1/2 lemons, juice of
- boiling water
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1Combine meat with olive oil, onion, herbs, rice and season generously.
- 2Line the pot you will be cooking your dolma in with a couple of layers of torn grape leaves (to prevent the dolma from being scorched while cooking).
- 3Place a grape leaf, shiny side down, on surface in front of you.
- 4If the stem is quite thick, cut it out with a knife, making a V.
- 5Pinch off about a teaspoon of the meat filling and place in the centre of the leaf.
- 6Fold in sides of leaf and roll up, not too loose and not too tight (allowing a bit for the expansion of the rice as it cooks), into neat little packets.
- 7Place neatly in pot and continue making dolma until you've used up all your meat mixture.
- 8Pour lemon juice over and cover dolma with boiling water, covering dolma with about 1/2 inch of water.
- 9Weight down with a plate and put lid on pot.
- 10Cook at a gentle simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until rice is tender.
- 11Carefully remove dolma, and place in a heatproof platter.
- 12Make Egg-Lemon Sauce (Avgolemono).
- 13Beat the eggs with the lemon juice and corn flour.
- 14Slowly dribble in hot stock left from cooking dolma, whisking egg mixture constantly.
- 15Keep adding hot liquid slowly, whisking, to temper the eggs.
- 16Pour the egg mixture into the pot with the remaining stock and whisk over a medium-low heat until sauce has thickened.
- 17Pour sauce over your dolma and enjoy!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dolma (meat-filled)
Serving Size: 1 (215 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 468.6
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 135.9 mg
- Sodium 2342.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 30.2 g