1 hr 15 mins
This Middle Eastern dish is a family favorite. The blend of the spices coupled with the tartness of the lemon makes it out of this world. This recipe has been passed down in my family for many years.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (16 ounce) jar grape leaves
- 2 lbs beef or 2 lbs lamb, minced
- 1 cup long-grain uncooked rice (basmati rice works best)
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 4 -5 carrots
- 1Soak grape leaves in water for 20 minutes. Drain.
- 2Peel and slice carrots lengthwise and line bottom of pot with them. This helps keep the grape leaves from sticking to the pot.
- 3Soak rice in hot water for 10 minutes and drain. In a large bowl, combine rice, beef, onion, garlic, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and all spices.
- 4Place each grape leaf shiny side down with stem end toward you on a flat surface. Cut off stem. Place 1 tbsp of rice mixture on leaf near the stem end. Roll top over once, fold ends in, and continue to roll completely (rolling away from you). Repeat with remaining leaves.
- 5Arrange rolled grape leaves in pot seam side down, tightly packed. Place each layer in opposite direction of previous layer, in a criss-cross fashion. For even cooking, try to have no more than 4 layers.
- 6Combine lemon juice and oil and pour over grape leaves. Top with water until approximately 1" below top layer.
- 7Place large plate on top, and place a heavy weight on plate (a foil-wrapped brick works great).
- 8Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes, until rice is thoroughly cooked. Allow to rest for 20-30 minutes.
- 9Serve with lemon wedges or Greek yogurt. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dolma (Stuffed Grape Leaves), Iraqi-Style
Serving Size: 1 (303 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1088.5
- Calories from Fat 902
- Total Fat 100.3 g
- Saturated Fat 35.0 g
- Cholesterol 112.3 mg
- Sodium 2416.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 14.5 g