1 hr 25 mins
echo echo's Note:
Stuffed grape leaves with egg-lemon sauce, a Greek dish. Can be used as a main dish, side dish or appetizers. Love this for dinner parties, showers, etc. If you like, you can also serve the dolmadakia cold later on without the sauce. However, do not serve the sauce cold and don't reheat the sauce. I have on occasion added 1/4 c raisins or 2 Tbs minced black olives to the stuffing. Number of servings is a guess, because how many dolmadakia are in a serving depends on the circumstances (main dish, side dish or appetizer). UPDATE: NOTE ON PAN: Although I've used a Pyrex pan on an electric stove over low heat with success, there have recently been at least anecdotal reports that suggest this not be the safest method, and it may be safer to stick with a metal pan. I nowadays use a decorative oval copper pan I have.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Do not cook the rice, but soak it in boiling water 5 minutes and drain in a sieve.
- 2Unfold the vine leaves and rinse under cold running water.
- 3In a bowl, combine the the rice, onions, meat, mint, parsley, seasonings and oil; mix together with clean hands.
- 4Form 1 Tbs of the mixture into an oval shape, place on a vine leaf and roll up, turning the ends in to seal; repeat until all the stuffing is used.
- 5Arrange stuffed leaves closely packed in layers in a small flame-proof baking dish (I use an 8 x 8-inch pan or a Pyrex deep 9-inch pie pan).
- 6Pour in the broth or water to cover; sprinkle with the juice of 1 lemon.
- 7Place a heat-proof plate on top of the grape leaves to weigh them down.
- 8Cover with foil, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 1 hour over very low heat.
- 9Let the leaves cool slightly in the broth and remove from broth, reserving the broth.
- 10Beat the egg yolks Add the juice of the other lemon to the yolks.
- 11Heat the yolk mixture, slowly adding some of hot broth from dolmadakia while heating.
- 12Remove from heat, stir into rest of broth and let stand 5 minutes to thicken.
- 13Serve immediately while sauce is warm.
Browse Our Top White Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All White Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dolmadakia With Avgolemono Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (190 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 286.0
- Calories from Fat 141
- Total Fat 15.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 78.2 mg
- Sodium 1940.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 11.9 g