1/1 Photo of Dolmades
This has been passed down from my grandfather to my mother. It is a Greek recipe for stuffed grape leaves.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (8 ounce) jar grape leaves (about 25 leafs)
- 1 lb ground round
- 1 lb ground lamb (You can use two pounds of Ground round if you can't find ground lamb)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1 (4 ounce) box tabouli mix (I cup raw rice if you can't find Tabuli)
- 1 onion, fine chopped any size you want, I prefer mild sweet onion
- 1 garlic clove (crushed or pressed into meat mixture)
- 3 (16 ounce) cans chicken broth (you can use just water if you want.)
- 4 lemons, squeezed or 4 lemon juice, equivalent
- 4 eggs
- 1Drain, rinse and dry grape leaves.
- 2Place off to the side.
- 3In a large bowl mix ground round, Lamb, salt, pepper, minced parsley, onion chopped, crushed or pressed garlic and Tabuli (or rice); mix well.
- 4Lay out one grape leaf stem up, place about 1 rounded tablespoon meat mixture near stem.
- 5Fold stem up over meat mixture fold one side leaf over mixture, fold top over then roll the rest but not tight.
- 6This is just like making a burrito.
- 7I use toothpicks to keep the stuffed leaves together.
- 8Place in at least 1 gal pot.
- 9Continue until all leaves are filled and snug in pot.
- 10If you run out of grape leaves that's okay, you can roll little balls of meat mixture and place in pot.
- 11Cover all stuffed leaves with chicken broth adding water if you don’t have enough broth, more broth if you have it on hand (you can use just water if you want).
- 12Bring the broth to a boil then turn heat to low, simmer and cook covered until tender (pierced with a fork) about 30 minutes.
- 13Remove about 1 quart of broth from pot and let cool down a little.
- 14You want it hot just not scalding hot.
- 15In another bowl beat 4 eggs until frothy adding slowly juice from lemon.
- 16Take the warmed broth and add to the egg mixture slowly a 1/2 ladle at a time still beating the egg mixture.
- 17After all broth is mixed with egg & lemon slowly add to pot on stove.
- 18Cover the pot and turn flame off.
- 19Let sit for about 10 minutes then serve.
- 20I like it tart and rich so I use more eggs and lemon then the recipe calls for.
- 21You can experiment how many eggs and lemon you want for the egg lemon broth.
- 22Leftover broth in pot makes good Avgolemono (Egg Lemon soup).
Browse Our Top Greek Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dolmades
Serving Size: 1 (157 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 161.4
- Calories from Fat 103
- Total Fat 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 69.8 mg
- Sodium 593.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 11.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: