1/22 Photos of Dolmathes
2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Inspired by my brother-in-law's favorite market (Jerusalem Market), the cooks here on Zaar, and some of my Greek cookbooks.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs ground lamb
- 2 large onions (grated)
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley (minced)
- 1/2 cup long grain rice
- 2 egg whites (save yolks for sauce)
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint
- 1 lb grape leaves
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1Mix lamb, onions, parsley, rice, egg whites and mint.
- 2Rinse, drain, and separate grape leaves.
- 3Cover bottom of saucepan with leaves to make rolling easier.
- 4Place one teaspoon filling on bottom of leaf.
- 5Fold over, fold in sides, and roll up.
- 6Repeat until all filling is used.
- 7Place closely together in layers (first one direction, then the other) in saucepan.
- 8Add 2 quarts of broth to cover rolls.
- 9Put small plate over rolls to hold down.
- 10Cover and simmer gently for one hour.
- 11Remove rolls to serving platter.
- 12Make the sauce:.
- 13In a sauce pan, mix cornstarch with small amount of broth until smooth.
- 14Slowly add remaining broth while stirring.
- 15Add lemon juice.
- 16Beat 2 eggs and 2 reserved egg yolks.
- 17Slowly add egg mixture to broth, continuing to stir.
- 18Stir over low heat until thickened.
- 19Serve over rolls.
Nutritional Facts for Dolmathes
Serving Size: 1 (794 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 684.0
- Calories from Fat 383
- Total Fat 42.6 g
- Saturated Fat 17.4 g
- Cholesterol 243.8 mg
- Sodium 3697.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 43.0 g