1 hr 15 mins
Leslie in Texas's Note:
Another Greek recipe thet I've collected. This one is from a 1980 Bon Apetit magazine that featured a Easter Feast from the Greek Islands with featured Greek chef Theonie Diakkidis Mark who was born on the island of Rhodes.Try to use the fresh dill weed for a superior flavor! These may be made ahead of time and kept refrigerated or frozen until needed.
My Private Note
dozen a ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb lean ground lamb
- 1/2 cup short-grain rice
- 1/2 cup fresh dill, chopped or 1 tablespoon dried dill
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 (1 quart) jar grape leaves, in brine, well rinsed and drained, stems cut off
- 3/4 cup rich chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced (garnish)
- 1Heat oil in large skillet.
- 2Add onion and saute until transparent but don't brown.
- 3Add meat, stirring to break into pieces.
- 4Add rice,dill,pine nuts, water and tomato paste; season to taste with pepper.
- 5Cook over medium heat until water is absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- 6Cover bottom of Dutch oven with layer of the smaller grape leaves and any that get torn in the process of rolling.
- 7Stuff remaining leaves by placing leaf shiny side down, on the palm of hand, with base of leaf toward wrist and tip of leaf toward middle finger.
- 8Put a spoonful of meat mixture in the center.
- 9Fold base of leaf over stuffing, then fold sides of leaf over (like an envelope), tucking edges in snugly.
- 10Arrange tip side down in pan.
- 11Add broth to within 1 inch of top layer; use any leftover leaves to cover top layer.
- 12Place plate upside down over top layer and press.
- 13Cover and cook over medium heat until rice is tender, about 30 minutes.
- 14Sprinkle with lemon juice and cook 5 minutes longer.
- 15Let cool to room temperature, or chill thoroughly.
- 16Garnish with lemon slices and serve.
- 17*The stuffed grape leaves can be prepared 2 to 3 days before serving and refrigerated or they may be frozen, If frozen, thaw overnight in the refrigerator, then add a little broth or water before gently reheating in a pan.
Browse Our Top Greek Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dolmathes ( Meat Stuffed Grape Leaves)
Serving Size: 1 (1407 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 568.3
- Calories from Fat 386
- Total Fat 42.9 g
- Saturated Fat 12.5 g
- Cholesterol 73.8 mg
- Sodium 248.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 21.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: