1/5 Photos of Dolmathes (Stuffed Grape Leaves)
2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 30 mins
These are great as an appetizer as well as a main course. If you're going to go to the trouble of making them - why not double the batch and really have some fun?
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (1 lb) jar grape leaves, packed in brine
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups long-grained converted rice
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh spearmint (or 1 tblsp dried, crumbled)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill (don't use dried no matter what)
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/3 cup currants
- 1 1/2-2 cups water (enough to just cover dolmathes along with olive oil)
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- lemon juice, for serving at table
- Greek yogurt, for serving at table
- 1Saute onions in ½ cup olive oil until translucent.
- 2Wash and drain rice well and add to onion along with 1 cup of water.
- 3Cook for 10 minutes.
- 4Add herbs, pine nuts, currants and salt and white pepper to taste.
- 5Set aside to cool.
- 6Prep leaves by rinsing well under running water and blanch in boiling water for 2-3 minutes.
- 7Cut off any tough stems by cutting a V around the stem, and discarding stem.
- 8Place 1 leaf on flat surface, shiny side down, add 1 teaspoon of filling and roll LOOSELY (as for a tiny eggroll, tucking in sides first and then rolling up), as rice will expand during cooking.
- 9Place seam side down on bottom of large saucepan which has been covered with a layer of thicker grape leaves (rejects from your jar – they may be very thick, therefore, not tender or torn and not suitable for being used as a wrapper- these protect the dolmathes from scorching).
- 10Repeat each grape leaf in same manner until all are used, packing them in tight- one next to the other- seam side down.
- 11Add 1 1/2- 2 cups water, dash salt, 3/4 cup olive oil and the juice of 1 lemon (enough liquid to just cover the dolmathes).
- 12Cover with a heavy plate to keep dolmathes immersed in liquid, and simmer for 45 minutes, or until rice is cooked.
- 13Serve cold or at room temperature as a'meze'.
- 14Nice served with a squeeze of lemon and/or a dollop of greek yogurt on top.
- 15For Vegan option omit the yogurt.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dolmathes (Stuffed Grape Leaves)
Serving Size: 1 (269 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 721.9
- Calories from Fat 469
- Total Fat 52.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2168.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 8.8 g