Prep1 hr 30 mins
These are great as an appetizer as well as a main course. If you're going to go to the trouble of making them - why not double the batch and really have some fun?
- 453.59 g jar grape leaves, packed in brine
- 118.29 ml olive oil
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 354.88 ml long-grained converted rice
- 236.59 ml water
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh spearmint (or 1 tblsp dried, crumbled)
- 44.37 ml chopped fresh dill (don't use dried no matter what)
- 78.07 ml pine nuts, toasted
- 78.07 ml currants
- 354.88-473.18 ml water (enough to just cover dolmathes along with olive oil)
- 177.44 ml olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- lemon juice, for serving at table
- Greek yogurt, for serving at table
- Saute onions in ½ cup olive oil until translucent.
- Wash and drain rice well and add to onion along with 1 cup of water.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add herbs, pine nuts, currants and salt and white pepper to taste.
- Set aside to cool.
- Prep leaves by rinsing well under running water and blanch in boiling water for 2-3 minutes.
- Cut off any tough stems by cutting a V around the stem, and discarding stem.
- Place 1 leaf on flat surface, shiny side down, add 1 teaspoon of filling and roll LOOSELY (as for a tiny eggroll, tucking in sides first and then rolling up), as rice will expand during cooking.
- Place seam side down on bottom of large saucepan which has been covered with a layer of thicker grape leaves (rejects from your jar – they may be very thick, therefore, not tender or torn and not suitable for being used as a wrapper- these protect the dolmathes from scorching).
- Repeat each grape leaf in same manner until all are used, packing them in tight- one next to the other- seam side down.
- Add 1 1/2- 2 cups water, dash salt, 3/4 cup olive oil and the juice of 1 lemon (enough liquid to just cover the dolmathes).
- Cover with a heavy plate to keep dolmathes immersed in liquid, and simmer for 45 minutes, or until rice is cooked.
- Serve cold or at room temperature as a'meze'.
- Nice served with a squeeze of lemon and/or a dollop of greek yogurt on top.
- For Vegan option omit the yogurt.