These tasty meatloaf Sandwiches are of Middle Eastern origin. Greeks, Turks, and Lebanese all lay claim to it. It has become a popular dish in Canada.
- 3 lbs lean hamburger
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 -2 teaspoon red cayenne pepper (depending on your taste)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup canned milk
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- pita bread
- chopped onion
- sliced tomato
- For Meatloaf: Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Knead for 20 minutes.
- Shape into two tightly formed loaves.
- Bake on broiler pan for 2 to 2 1/2 hours at 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cool loaves and slice thin.
- Meat can be frozen for future use.
- For Sauce: Stir canned milk, sugar and garlic powder until sugar is dissolved.
- Slowly add vinegar and continue mixing.
- Let sauce sit for at least one hour in refrigerator before using.
- For Sandwich: Heat thin sliced donair meat in a frying pan.
- Dip a pita bread in water and fry in frying pan to soften.
- Place a small amount of sauce on bread.
- Top with meat, chopped onions and tomatoes and finish off with more sauce.
- Roll up or serve open face on a plate.