Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This dish is so easy and so good. It can be served warm or at room temperature. It can be made ahead, refrigerated, and then brought to room temperature before serving. It's a lovely appetizer or it can be served as a main dish. The grilling of the melon and the pepper can be omitted, but the carmelization that happens in the grilling really adds a dimension to the flavor.
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons ouzo
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup couscous
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 medium cantaloupe, peeled seeded and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, peeled, seeded and quartered
- 1 teaspoon ouzo
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup basil leaves
- Combine the two tablespoons of ouzo, tablespoon of brown sugar, chopped garlic orange juice and olive oil in a bowl.
- add shrimp and toss.
- Allow to marinate at least thirty minutes.
- Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Add couscous and butter, cover pan and remove from heat.
- Let stand five minutes.
- Heat a grill pan (or a George Forman type grill).
- Grill cantelope slices and peeled red pepper quarters briefly.
- Dice cantelope and red pepper and add to couscous.
- Stir the teaspoon of ouzo into the couscous and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and let sit so flavors can blend.
- Heat a saucepan large enough to hold the shrimp in a single layer (or cook the shrimp in batches) over high heat.
- When the pan is hot, add the shrimp and the marinade.
- Stir fry the shrimp until done --this should take only a few moments--the longer the shrimp marinates, the less tiome it will take to cook.
- Do not overcook the shrimp.
- Place the shrimp in a bowl with any remaining pan liquid .
- Prepare each of four plates as follows:.
- Place basil leaves around the plate.
- Lightly pack the couscous/fruit/pepper mixture in a custard cup or ramekin and invert in the center of the plate.
- Place the shrimps around the mound of couscous.
Very nice flavors! This is a great summer dish. I love to find unusual dishes. Thanks so much!
Wow! This was phenomenol! I grilled the canteloupe and pepper as per Chef Kate's suggestion and we just loved everything about this. Left out the couscous this time as we had a lot of food going on today (father's day). Loved everything about this luscious appy.
forgot my stars!!! Sorry!