Chef Kate's Note:
This dish is so easy and so good. It can be served warm or at room temperature. It can be made ahead, refrigerated, and then brought to room temperature before serving. It's a lovely appetizer or it can be served as a main dish. The grilling of the melon and the pepper can be omitted, but the carmelization that happens in the grilling really adds a dimension to the flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons ouzo
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup couscous
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 medium cantaloupe, peeled seeded and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, peeled, seeded and quartered
- 1 teaspoon ouzo
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 1Combine the two tablespoons of ouzo, tablespoon of brown sugar, chopped garlic orange juice and olive oil in a bowl.
- 2add shrimp and toss.
- 3Allow to marinate at least thirty minutes.
- 4Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan.
- 5Add couscous and butter, cover pan and remove from heat.
- 6Let stand five minutes.
- 7Heat a grill pan (or a George Forman type grill).
- 8Grill cantelope slices and peeled red pepper quarters briefly.
- 9Dice cantelope and red pepper and add to couscous.
- 10Stir the teaspoon of ouzo into the couscous and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 11Cover and let sit so flavors can blend.
- 12Heat a saucepan large enough to hold the shrimp in a single layer (or cook the shrimp in batches) over high heat.
- 13When the pan is hot, add the shrimp and the marinade.
- 14Stir fry the shrimp until done --this should take only a few moments--the longer the shrimp marinates, the less tiome it will take to cook.
- 15Do not overcook the shrimp.
- 16Place the shrimp in a bowl with any remaining pan liquid .
- 17Prepare each of four plates as follows:.
- 18Place basil leaves around the plate.
- 19Lightly pack the couscous/fruit/pepper mixture in a custard cup or ramekin and invert in the center of the plate.
- 20Place the shrimps around the mound of couscous.
Browse Our Top Melons Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Drunken Shrimp a La Greque
Serving Size: 1 (403 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 380.1
- Calories from Fat 86
- Total Fat 9.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 177.8 mg
- Sodium 211.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 16.0 g
- Protein 29.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: