1/1 Photo of Easy Eggplant Moussaka
1 hr 40 mins
This recipe comes from Cuisine at Home. My family loves moussaka; however, it is so time consuming. This recipe cuts the time down to 1 1/2 hours so we can have it more often.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs ground lamb, or
- 1 1/2 lbs ground sirloin (beef)
- 1 1/2 lbs Japanese eggplants, cubed (8 cups)
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and diced (2 cups)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dry red wine (optional)
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup kalamata olive, chopped
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1In a large pan, cook the meat over medium-high heat until brown, breaking it up with a potato masher as it cooks. If using ground sirloin you might need to add a touch of oil.
- 2Drain the meat if desired and return to pan. Add in the eggplant, potatoes, onion, garlic, oregano, cinnamon and basil. Simmer covered about 15 minutes. Remove lid, turn heat to medium-high and add in wine. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until it evaporates. Stir in tomatoes, olives and simmer to reduce juices, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 3Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 2 quart casserole with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- 4For the Bechamel sauce, place the melted butter in a medium size saucepan. Whisk in flour and cook for a minute. Add milk, bring to a boil and continue to wisk until thickened. Remove from heat.
- 5Break eggs into a small dish, whisking until combined. Stir in a small amount of white sauce and whisk to combine. Whisk egg mixture into white sauce. Stir in Parmesan cheese and nutmeg.
- 6Pour the meat and vegetable mixture into prepared casserole and pour the sauce over all. Smooth evenly with a spatula, sprinkle with additional cheese. Place in oven and bake for 45 to 55 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Eggplant Moussaka
Serving Size: 1 (497 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 689.5
- Calories from Fat 428
- Total Fat 47.5 g
- Saturated Fat 23.2 g
- Cholesterol 212.7 mg
- Sodium 379.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 41.2 g