Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
A quick and easy chicken & pasta dish inspired by Cincinnati-style chili. The combination of cinnamon and garlic is the secret! Not an authentic Greek dish but the influence is there. Tastes great fresh and even better reheated, making it ideal for one-a-month cooking!
- 4 -6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- to taste olive oil or to taste clarified butter
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 12 ounces spaghetti, vermicelli or 12 ounces angel hair pasta, uncooked
- Brown chicken breasts in a large skillet over medium heat in olive oil, clarified butter or a combination until juices run clear.
- Remove chicken from pan and keep warm.
- Saute garlic in pan drippings til softened.
- Add cream soup and diced tomatoes to pan, stir to combine thoroughly.
- Add Italian seasoning and cinnamon.
- Adjust seasonings, more or less of each, to your family's tastes.
- If you intend to freeze the dish for later, go lightly on the seasonings as the flavors usually intensify with freezing.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare pasta according to package directions.
- Add chicken on top of sauce.
- Top each breast with shredded cheese.
- Cover and heat until cheese is melted.
- Place pasta on a platter, top with sauce and chicken breasts.
- Pass parmasan cheese at table.
- The sauce is very, very good made fresh but is fantastic when reheated, making it a great make-ahead dish.
- Follow the directions below.
- Freezer directions: Cool sauce and chicken (do not put mozzarella on chicken breasts at this time!).
- Place sauce and chicken breasts, without mozzarella, in freezer bag.
- Remove air, seal, label, date and freeze.
- Keep pasta and mozzarella on hand for serving day.
- To serve, thaw sauce and chicken.
- Reheat on medium-low to medium heat until chicken is hot throughout.
- Proceed with recipe as directed above.
- Alternately, sauce and chicken may be reheated in the microwave at 50% power.
Very tasty! Husband and 4 kids loved it! Some variations due avail. and personal prefer., were using an Italian blend shredded cheese, multigrain penne, can diced tomatoes w/ onions and green peppers, and cubing the chicken to distribute better throughout the dish.