1 hr 25 mins
Mallina Cashew's Note:
This pie is great for anyone with egg allergies. The buckwheat can also be replaced with an equal amount of cooked brown rice, or millet. The dill in this recipe gives it an exceptional flavour.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup buckwheat groats (whole, not flour)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach, defrosted
- 2 cups chopped dill
- 1/2-3/4 lb feta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 3 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- garlic salt, to taste
- 4 sheets phyllo dough, defrosted
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1Bring water to a boil and add buckwheat, simmer for 20 minutes.
- 2Defrost spinach and drain well.
- 3Put spinach and dill in a food processor until well mixed.
- 4Add feta, pepper, lemon juice, and oil and mix.
- 5Add cooked buckwheat, mix again.
- 6Sauté onion and garlic in butter and oil until slightly browned; add garlic salt.
- 7Add to spinach mixture; mix.
- 8Brush sheets of phyllo dough with oil.
- 9Place 3 sheets into an 8-12 inch pan.
- 10Fill with spinach mixture.
- 11Place last sheet on top, brush with oil slightly.
- 12Cover with tin foil, bake for 35 minutes at 375°F.
- 13Take foil off, continue baking until browned, 5-10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Egg-Free Spinach Pie (That Actually Holds)
Serving Size: 1 (163 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 210.3
- Calories from Fat 126
- Total Fat 14.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 26.5 mg
- Sodium 428.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 8.6 g