Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This pie is great for anyone with egg allergies. The buckwheat can also be replaced with an equal amount of cooked brown rice, or millet. The dill in this recipe gives it an exceptional flavour.
- 3⁄4 cup buckwheat groats (whole, not flour)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach, defrosted
- 2 cups chopped dill
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 lb feta cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 3 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- garlic salt, to taste
- 4 sheets phyllo dough, defrosted
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Bring water to a boil and add buckwheat, simmer for 20 minutes.
- Defrost spinach and drain well.
- Put spinach and dill in a food processor until well mixed.
- Add feta, pepper, lemon juice, and oil and mix.
- Add cooked buckwheat, mix again.
- Sauté onion and garlic in butter and oil until slightly browned; add garlic salt.
- Add to spinach mixture; mix.
- Brush sheets of phyllo dough with oil.
- Place 3 sheets into an 8-12 inch pan.
- Fill with spinach mixture.
- Place last sheet on top, brush with oil slightly.
- Cover with tin foil, bake for 35 minutes at 375°F.
- Take foil off, continue baking until browned, 5-10 minutes.
Hey this recipe sounds great.I'm going to print it out right now!!
This recipe can be made using an equal amount of brown rice instead of buckwheat, if you cannot find it. This recipe may also be a bit salty for some of you; try the spinach batter after putting small amounts of feta in and see how you like it. The garlic salt does not have to be used at all.