Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Taken from The Best International Recipe, posted for safekeeping. Serve IMMEDIATELY - it thickens to a gravy-like consistency when reheated.
- 2 quarts low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup long-grain white rice
- 48 inches long strips lemon zest
- 4 green cardamom pods, crushed or 2 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 scallion, sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves (optional)
- Bring broth to boil in a large saucepan over high heat.
- Add rice, lemon zest, cardamom, bay leaves, and salt.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer until rice is tender, 16 to 20 minutes.
- Remove and discard bay leaves, cardamom, and lemon zest.
- Return broth to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low.
- Whisk whole eggs, yolks, and lemon juice together in a medium bowl until combined.
- Ladle about 2 cups of the hot broth and slowly whisk it into the eggs to temper, then slowly whisk the egg mixture back into the soup.
- Continue to cook the soup over low heat, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Do not let the soup simmer or boil.
- Divide the soup among serving bowls, sprinkle with scallion and/or mint, and serve immediately.