Taken from The Best International Recipe, posted for safekeeping. Serve IMMEDIATELY - it thickens to a gravy-like consistency when reheated.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 quarts low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup long-grain white rice
- 48 inches long strips lemon zest
- 4 green cardamom pods, crushed or 2 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 scallion, sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves (optional)
- 1Bring broth to boil in a large saucepan over high heat.
- 2Add rice, lemon zest, cardamom, bay leaves, and salt.
- 3Reduce heat to medium and simmer until rice is tender, 16 to 20 minutes.
- 4Remove and discard bay leaves, cardamom, and lemon zest.
- 5Return broth to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low.
- 6Whisk whole eggs, yolks, and lemon juice together in a medium bowl until combined.
- 7Ladle about 2 cups of the hot broth and slowly whisk it into the eggs to temper, then slowly whisk the egg mixture back into the soup.
- 8Continue to cook the soup over low heat, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- 9Do not let the soup simmer or boil.
- 10Divide the soup among serving bowls, sprinkle with scallion and/or mint, and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Lemon Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lemon Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Egg-Lemon Soup (Avgolemono)
Serving Size: 1 (279 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 153.6
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 140.4 mg
- Sodium 704.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 10.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
green cardamom pods