Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
A meatless twist on the classic Greek sandwich. There is no accident in the multiple measurements of EVOO, it calls for them all. Posted for Zaar World Tour 2.
- 1⁄2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded, diced
- 1⁄3 cup scallion, diced
- 1⁄3 cup kalamata olive, pitted, halved
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (yes, that's a 2nd measurement)
- 1 large eggplant, trimmed and diced into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (3rd measurment)
- 4 pita bread
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Combine all ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl; set aside.
- Toss tomatoes, cucumbers, scallions, olives, vinegar, parsley, oregano, oil, salt, and pepper together in a large bowl. Chill until ready to use.
- Saute eggplant in oil over medium-high heat 3 minutes. Add to vegetable mixture.
- Brush pitas with oil, season with salt, and broil until lightly toasted on both sides.
- Assemble by placing each pita on top of a sheet of foil or parchment paper.
- Drizzle 1/4 cup of sauce down the center of the pita and place about 1 cup of vegetables on top of the sauce.
- Wrap foil or paper around pita and serve.
LOVED these!! I would give these way more than 5 stars if I could! Used 3 baby eggplant, nonfat Greek yogurt in the sauce, brown tomatoes (Kumato), and packaged naan from Costco for the pita bread. I left the veggie mixture (pre-eggplant) out at room temp while I cooked the eggplant and heated up the naan, so the heat of the eggplant and bread warmed up all the veggies. I'll definitely be making these again, thanks for posting! :) Made for The Queens of Quisine for ZWT6
Boy, these were yummy! I did throw the peppers in with the eggplant and sauteed them together. I also threw some oregano and garlic in with them. I could eat the fresh veggie topping all on it's own! I'll definitely make this again!
very tasty. thanks!