A meatless twist on the classic Greek sandwich. There is no accident in the multiple measurements of EVOO, it calls for them all. Posted for Zaar World Tour 2.
- 1⁄2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded, diced
- 1⁄3 cup scallion, diced
- 1⁄3 cup kalamata olive, pitted, halved
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (yes, that's a 2nd measurement)
- 1 large eggplant, trimmed and diced into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (3rd measurment)
- 4 pita bread
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Combine all ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl; set aside.
- Toss tomatoes, cucumbers, scallions, olives, vinegar, parsley, oregano, oil, salt, and pepper together in a large bowl. Chill until ready to use.
- Saute eggplant in oil over medium-high heat 3 minutes. Add to vegetable mixture.
- Brush pitas with oil, season with salt, and broil until lightly toasted on both sides.
- Assemble by placing each pita on top of a sheet of foil or parchment paper.
- Drizzle 1/4 cup of sauce down the center of the pita and place about 1 cup of vegetables on top of the sauce.
- Wrap foil or paper around pita and serve.
LOVED these!! I would give these way more than 5 stars if I could! Used 3 baby eggplant, nonfat Greek yogurt in the sauce, brown tomatoes (Kumato), and packaged naan from Costco for the pita bread. I left the veggie mixture (pre-eggplant) out at room temp while I cooked the eggplant and heated up the naan, so the heat of the eggplant and bread warmed up all the veggies. I'll definitely be making these again, thanks for posting! :) Made for The Queens of Quisine for ZWT6
very tasty. thanks!
I liked this and my husband even liked it (he hates eggplant!). The kids only liked it without the dressing. I have a feeling that the leftovers will taste even better since the veggies will have time to soak up the other flavors. I think next time I will make it ahead and let it sit for about an hour for the flavors to blend better. I think the feta was the key to making this recipe really work. Will definitely make this again. Very easy to put together and made mostly of fresh veggies which is always good! Thanks for the recipe!