Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Recipe by Chrissa Paradissis' The Best Book of Greek Cookery. It was found in The Good Cook Salads
Make and share this Eggplant Salad (Melitzanosalata) recipe from Food.com.
- 3 lbs eggplants (about 3 or 4 long eggplants)
- 1 small onion, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded & chopped into small pieces
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ripe olives
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and sliced into rings
- Prick eggplants, place them in a baking pan and bake in 350F oven for about one hour or until soft.
- Allow skin to shrivel and turn black so as to give a smoky flavor to the salad.
- Peel eggplants whil still hot and chop flesh into small pieces.
- Continue chopping while slowly adding the onion, garlic, tomato, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Place in salad bowl and garnish with olives and green pepper rings.
Awesome eggplant salad! Made as written, using black olives as I assumed that ripe olives should be black ones. I love eggplant everything, and this one will be a keeper. Thanks for sharing!<br/>Made for ZWT 9 / Greece for The Apron String travelers
Garlic goodness. I did bake as directed. It became soft before it got to char. Next time for the smokiness I`ll char stove top right over the open flame or outdoors on the grill. But in the end it was yummy. I did add fresh minced parsley, white balsamic vinegar and cut back on the oil because I didn't use the whole 3 pounds. Thanks Made for Veggie tag.