Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
These are absolutely delicious, and easy to prepare!
Make and share this Ellinikos Lemoni Patatas (Greek Lemon Potatoes) recipe from Food.com.
- 3 lbs yukon gold potatoes or 3 lbs other waxy potatoes, peeled
- 1⁄2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth or 2 cups lamb stock
- Peel potatoes and cut them in half (from medium size potatoes, quarter if large).
- Let them stand in water while preparing sauce.
- Combine all other ingredients in a gallon size"zipper" bag, and shake to combine.
- Dry off the potatoes, and put all of them in the bag and let marinate for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Put the potatoes and marinade in a large casserole, preferrably a white pyrex, approximately 13 x 9 x 3 oval.
- Roast for 1hr 10min, turning occasionally.
- There should be plenty of sauce left over after roasting.
- You can put these under the broiler for 5 minutes to crisp them up if you prefer.
These are phenomenally good and I don't like most potato dishes. I don't follow the measurements exactly, just put in what I think is the right amount of ingredients according to how many potatoes I am cooking. I find that parboiling the potatoes makes them taste 1000% better too. They are also just as good if you don't marinate them. I would eat these every day if I could be bothered cooking them every day! Delicious hot or cold.
there's a greek restaurant that i often eat at, and their lemon potatoes are perfect. i've been searching for a recipe that yields a similar result for a long time now, and this one has come the closest. i made the following modifications: - more lemon juice - vegatable broth instead of chicken broth - fresh oregano instead of dried - no garlic (the ones i'm after don't have garlic in them) - marinaded the potatoes overnight instead of just 2 hrs the result was tasty, but still not "it". they were nice and crispy, but just not sufficiently tangy and flavourful. i'm definitely going to try this one again though, as i'm certain that with a few more tweaks this recipe will deliver the potatoes that i'm after. here's what i'm going to try, in addition to the mods i already made: - prick the potatoes with a fork before marinading them (maybe this will help them soak up more flavour?) - save a little extra lemon juice to baste the potatoes with partway through cooking or: - boil the potatoes slightly before marinading them (they will likely soak up more flavor if they are softened first)
Sensational! Have just cooked these wonderful, tasty potatoes and cannot believe how good they were! Halved the recipe and only had time to marinate for 1/2 hour and then I forgot to turn the fan on in the oven so put them in the microwave for 10 minutes, then cooked them in a hot oven for another 40 minutes! Wow the best potatoes I have ever eaten.