I received a wonderful care package from Evelyn/Athens in Greece. The whole package smelled wonderful from the Greek oregano that Evelyn had included in the package. What better recipe to really appreciate fantastic oregano than pizza!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 (10 ounce) boxes frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 10 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 5 fresh tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated halloumi cheese
- 1Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- 2Heat the oil and saute the onion and garlic for about 5 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
- 3Add the spinach and keep sautéing until all the moisture has evaporated (you don't want this to be bone dry, just all the excess moisture should be cooked off).
- 4Add the oregano, basil and black pepper.
- 5Mix it into the spinach mixture and then remove from the heat.
- 6Mix in the ricotta cheese.
- 7Set aside for now.
- 8Find a jelly roll pan with a small rim and grease it.
- 9Lay one sheet of phyllo dough down on it, the sheet can be a little bigger than the pan, that's okay.
- 10Brush the sheet of phyllo with some of the melted butter.
- 11Top that with a second sheet of phyllo dough, and brush that with some melted butter.
- 12Keep going until all ten sheets have been layered and butter.
- 13Roll the overlapping ends of the dough onto itself to form the pizza"crust".
- 14Using a spatula, spread the spinach-ricotta mixture over the phyllo in an even layer.
- 15Arrange the tomatoes over this layer.
- 16Mix the mozzarella with the haloumi.
- 17If you can't get haloumi cheese, that's okay, don't kill yourself over it, just use 1 1/2 cups of mozzarella instead.
- 18Sprinkle the cheese over the tomatoes.
- 19Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Evelyn-Inspired Greek Tomato-Spinach Pizza
Serving Size: 1 (230 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 260.1
- Calories from Fat 152
- Total Fat 16.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 36.3 mg
- Sodium 254.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 11.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: