2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This year, I used my standard pound cake recipe and adapted it for Vasilopita. It is traditional to place a coin, signifying good luck and prosperity in the New Year, in the Vasilopita. Whoever finds it in their piece will be blessed! As I don't like my Vasilopita too sweet, I use a lesser amount of sugar in mine. Feel free to make it sweeter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces butter, softened to room temperature (375 gr)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces cognac (I used 2 shot glasses, maybe more, I may have consumed the contents of a couple of those glasses mys) or 2 ounces Cointreau liqueur (I used 2 shot glasses, maybe more, I may have consumed the contents of a couple of those glasses mys) or 2 ounces drambuie (I used 2 shot glasses, maybe more, I may have consumed the contents of a couple of those glasses mys)
- 6 extra-large eggs
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup buttermilk or 3/4 cup milk
- 1 large orange, juice and zest of
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 12 ounces mixed chopped toasted nuts (I use a combo of walnuts, almonds and hazelnuts)
- 1Also will need: 1 coin washed and wrapped in aluminum foil.
- 2Preheat oven to 350F (170C). Butter and flour a 12-inch round pan or springform pan generously.
- 3Beat butter with sugar until light-coloured and fluffy, about 4-5 minutes.
- 4Beat in vanilla extract, baking powder, salt, cognac (or other liquor of choice). Beat in eggs, one at a time, until incorporated.
- 5Beat in flour on low speed, a cupful at a time, until incorporated. Towards the end, when the batter is starting to get very thick and you think your mixer is going to break down, add the buttermilk, orange juice (into which you stir the baking soda JUST before adding it to the batter - careful, it will foam up) and zest, alternately with the remaining flour, until everything is incorporated and distributed.
- 6Add the nuts and incorporate.
- 7Drop the foil-wrapped coin into the batter and empty the batter into your prepared pan.
- 8Bake for anywhere from 1 1/2 hours to 1 hour and 45 minutes (approximately). Cover cake pan loosely with a piece of foil if cake is browning too fast. Do the toothpick test to ensure the cake has baked.
- 9Remove, allow to cool 1/2 an hour and turn out of pan. Cool completely and place on your prettiest platter.
- 10Dust with icing sugar to resemble snow. Decorate with coloured sugars, pine cones, red and gold ribbons - anything to give it a pretty, festive air.
- 11Bring in the New Year with much Good Health, Love, Happiness, and Prosperity.
- 12Hronia sas polla. :-).
Nutritional Facts for Ev's Vasilopita
Serving Size: 1 (129 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 587.1
- Calories from Fat 295
- Total Fat 32.8 g
- Saturated Fat 14.0 g
- Cholesterol 147.3 mg
- Sodium 718.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 28.7 g
- Protein 11.4 g