1 hr 30 mins
Very homey and comforting - especially on a cold day, when you want a more 'stick-to-your-ribs' type soup. This is definitely better made a couple of days in advance, so perfect to make over a quieter weekend to enjoy during a busier working week. The cooking time is approximate as it will depend on how old your beans are, how long you've soaked them, and how you cook them (I use a pressure cooker to cook the beans and then proceed with the rest of the recipe in a standard soup pot).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 kg dried navy beans, soaked overnight (cannelini beans are traditional in greece)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups onions, cut in small dice
- 1 1/2 cups celery, cut in small dice
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, cut in small dice
- 1 1/2 cups potatoes, cut in small dice
- 1/3 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- 1Cook the beans until tender. Drain.
- 2In a soup pot, add beans and enough water to cover beans plus 3 extra cups of water. Bring to a simmer. Add remaining ingredients, season to taste with salt and pepper, and simmer until vegetables are cooked through, and soup has thickened, about 20 minutes. (greeks like soft veggies, you may want your soup cooked slightly less if you like crispier veggies). This soup only improves over the next few days, so go ahead and make it way before you plan to eat it.
- 3Note: At the table, I like to serve this with the choice of regular Tabasco, and the green (jalapeno) version, for people to add to their bowls as per their liking. I like a couple of drops of the red Tabasco, and a bit heavier on the green for more herbal notes. Also, for a more European flavour, a generous sprinkling of grated parmesan cheese at the table is divine.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fasolada (Greek Bean Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (186 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 383.1
- Calories from Fat 131
- Total Fat 14.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 101.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.6 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 15.5 g