Cook1 hr 30 mins
This classic Greek vegetarian soup is simple to make. Serve it with lots of fresh crusty bread. From Modern Greek.
- 1 lb dried white bean, soaked overnight
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled & roughly chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled & sliced
- 3 stalks celery, strings removed & sliced
- 3 red ripe tomatoes, peeled seeded & roughly chopped or 1 (15 ounce) canpeeled tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 handful fresh flat-leaf parsley
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Drain beans and place in large saucepan.
- Cover with cold water and bring to a boil, skimming off any froth with a slotted spoon.
- Add all other ingredients except salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until tender.
- Allow to cool slightly.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.