- Heat oil and butter over low heat until butter is melted and mixtureis hot.
- Remove from heat and stir in water and brandy.
- Stir in beaten eggs.
- Sift together flour and baking powder with the tablespoon each of cinnamon and cloves.
- Add to liquid mixture to make a dough that is not too soft.
- Add a little more flour if necessary.
- With floured hands shape dough into ovals and indent lengthwise with thumbs.
- Combine chopped walnuts with sugar anddash each cinnamon and cloves.
- Put 1 tsp of this filling into the indentation in the dough and close dough over filling.
- Place on cookie sheets and bake in a 400° oven for about 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Dip cooled cookies into hot syrup and place on racks to drain.
- Decorate with chopped walnuts.