1/1 Photo of Feta Burgers With Grilled Red Onions
From Bon Appetit, July, 2007. These newfangled burgers are stuffed with feta cheese. Pressing the center of the raw hamburger to form a slight indentation prevents the burger from puffing up in the center when cooking. Here for safe keeping and sharing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup feta cheese, packed, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 8 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- nonstick vegetable oil cooking spray
- 2 medium red onions, peeled, each cut crosswise into 4 slices
- 8 hamburger buns
- 2 large tomatoes, each cut crosswise into 4 slices
- 1Break up beef in large bowl.
- 2Sprinkle feta, oregano, salt, and pepper over (meat); toss.
- 3Divide into 8 portions; form each into 4 1/2-inch burgers, pressing in center to form slight indentation. *DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill.
- 4Puree garlic in processor; With machine running, gradually add 1/2 cup oil; process 30 seconds. *DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill.
- 5Spray grill rack with nonstick spray.
- 6Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat).
- 7Brush onion with 1 tablespoon oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 8Place burgers and onions on grill. Cover; cook 5 minutes.
- 9Turn onions and burgers; cook until onions are charred in spots and burgers are medium-well, about 4 minutes longer.
- 10Transfer to plate. Brush cut sides of buns with garlic oil and place buns, cut side down, on grill; toast about 1 minute.
- 11Turn buns; cook until heated, about 1 minute.
- 12Place burgers on bun bottoms and top each with onion, tomato, and bun top.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Feta Burgers With Grilled Red Onions
Serving Size: 1 (336 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 620.0
- Calories from Fat 333
- Total Fat 37.0 g
- Saturated Fat 12.1 g
- Cholesterol 127.2 mg
- Sodium 967.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 41.7 g